For over 17 years, First Tee — Greater Cincinnati has been committed to helping kids build character strengths and important life skills through the game of golf and providing all kids with access to opportunities for personal growth in a fun and safe environment. Through introspective questions, interactive games, and immersive golf exercises, each lesson is designed to help kids build a better understanding of themselves and empower them to strengthen their values and character that they take to everything they do.
In 2023, 22 First Tee Coaches led over 80 classes that impacted 1,000+ kids and teens in our community. Join our team, and help us impact the next generation.
Become a Game Changing Coach
Becoming a coach is more important now than ever before. Kids and teens are facing challenges unseen by previous generations. Our chapter is looking for enthusiastic and caring individuals to serve as positive mentors and role models to kids and teens in the program. These individuals should have a desire to help kids discover what’s inside of them, guide them to strengthen it and mentor them to put it into action in everything they do.
Coaches are trained to deliver First Tee golf and life skills curriculum. This training system is built on research-proven methods of positive youth development, providing coaches with the tools to make kids feel safe, included and empowered.
Coach Philosophy & Building Blocks:
First Tee understands that when young people are
(a) exposed to the inherent values of the game of golf
(b) surrounded by caring First Tee Coaches
(c) taught life skills through the First Tee Program, the probability increases that they will acquire and demonstrate First Tee’s Key Commitments.
First Tee’s Coach philosophy is implemented through four building blocks. Coaches are introduced to them progressively across training. As coaches increase awareness and effective use of the strategies and behaviors, they create optimal learning environments for positive youth development.
- Activity Based
- Mastery Driven
- Empower Youth
- Continuous Learning
We are committed to providing programs that build character and instill life-enhancing values through the game of golf, and our curriculum has evolved to increase our impact, relevancy and scale. The curriculum is centered around First Tee’s Commitment to Being a Game Changer©. The five Key Commitments are the life skills we want our participants to adopt and pursue – these are the keys to unlocking good character:
- Pursuing Goals
- Growing through Challenge
- Collaborating with Others
- Building a Positive Self-Identity
- Using Good Judgment
The First Tee Program curriculum is organized around four age groups:
- Age 7-9: Coaches deliver lessons that introduce and engage participants with both golf and life skills. Kids get active and play golf with their peers.
- Age 10-11: Coaches deliver lessons that support the exploration of both character and golf skills in active and collaborative ways.
- Age 12-13: Coaches deliver lessons that empower participants to explore both golf skills and character commitments through opportunities for mastery and growth.
- Age 14+: Coaches deliver lessons that help participants elaborate on their understanding and place a greater emphasis on their personal development.
Ready to Build Game Changers? Review the Job Description and Fill out our Coach Application
Time commitment varies by location and time of year. Typically, most First Tee – GCNKY coaches deliver 1-2 classes per week for 6 weeks. Here is our schedule for 2023.
First Tee — GCNKY is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for all participants and adults engaged in our organization. First Tee fully complies with all elements of the Safe Sport Authorization Act, which was enacted to curtail and prevent abuse found at various youth sports organizations by elevating the standard of care by which sports organizations must act.
As part of our onboarding process, all adults are required to complete an online Background Check and Training with the US Center for SafeSport.
Click here to view the SafeSport Policy.
We program at the following locations in the spring, summer, or fall during the year:
- Reeves Golf Course (spring, summer, fall)
- Armco Park Golf Course (summer only)
- Indian Ridge Golf Club (summer only)
- Meadow Links and Golf Academy (spring, summer, fall)
- Neumann Golf Course (spring, summer, fall)
- Potters Park Golf Course (summer only)
- Woodland Golf Course (summer only)
- Miles of Golf (varies)
- The Golf Courses of Kenton County (spring, summer, fall)